I know I haven’t posted in a while, but you guys are going to love this. This was a recipe I recently found and I (obviously) made it dairy free. It hadn’t called for any glazing but I could not pass up the opportunity to compliment the lemons with powdered sugar. On another note- I’d say that this recipe is relatively simple, beginner baking. It took me about 1 hour to make the whole cake, chill time included.
I’m sure that you could make this cake vegan, but I decided not to sub the eggs or honey. The honey really gave it a natural sweeten and complemented the lemony taste very well. Ive got a long list of directions, but don’t worry it won’t take long at all, multitasking is key. On to the recipe!!
Lemon Olive Oil Cake
1 cup almond milk
1/4 cup olive oil
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking soda
1 tbsp lemon juice+ 1 tbsp lemon zest
(optional 1-2 shots of rum+1/4 cup more of flour)
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons of almond milk
Sliced lemons for garnish+1/4 cup sugar
- Whisk together all wet ingredients. When combined, add in dry ingredients and stir well. Pour into two non stick 5’ cake rounds.
- Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, coat your lemon slices in sugar on a baking sheet and place in separate over or toaster oven for 40 minutes at 275.
- For the glaze- combine 1 cup powdered sugar and 1-2 tbsp of almond milk, stir, and set aside.
- Once your cake is done, remove the cakes from the cake rounds and let cool in the fridge for about 10 minutes. Remove from fridge and slice the rounded top off of one cake circle and coat with glaze (heavier on the edges), then place your second cake on top.
- by this point, your lemons should be finished glazing, so remove from oven and let cool. Continue glazing your cake to your desire and then decorate with your lemons! (I recommend using toothpicks to hold them in place until your icing is firm)
- Store in fridge and enjoy!